** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 7:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tracy's HackMaster Campaign 2014/07/31
PostPosted: Aug 22, 2014 2:44 pm 
Lord
Lord

Sorry for the delay. We skipped some weeks to play boardgames.

++++ START OF SESSION ++++

It was the last game for half the Players as they were permanently shipping out. I decided come hell or high water, to complete this level of the dungeon for them. As a spoiler, I simply used the "Hellivator" to lead the way out even though it could have led to other (and more lengthy) encounters.

The split party rejoined itself on the cathedral's platform and decided to make it's way to "EXIT" rectangle at the top of the roof. The order of ascent may not necessarily follow the order of events. (It has been almost two weeks.)

Kiki the Pixie-Nixie attempted to fly up and was accosted by a Gargoyle about two-thirds of the way up. Deftly dodging or miraculously avoiding death, he made it and entered the entrance. The others made it by other means. (Actually all characters were to be assigned two Gargoyles on the attack, but I was lenient due to his size.) Upon arrival he found himself in a room with a glowing portal and a door with two buttons one with an arrow going down and another going up. There were also helpful signs, alas Kiki could not read them.

Two members of the party attempted the ascent, Kmaregh using his recently acquired Broom of Flying and Huang using his Wings of Flying. Again two thirds of the way up, they were accosted by two Gargoyles (each) and were beaten back down. But at least the rest of the party knew what was awaiting the next attempt.

The rest of the party next attempted the ascent with Honda's (again recently acquired) Carpet of Flying, each party member (of course) were attacked by two Gargoyles each. There was a lengthy battle here (over an hour) until finally Kmaregh cast a Phantasmal Force of Rain of Fire spell. Most of the Gargoyles believed it and in mid-flight. If not, then they died when they hit the ground.

Once at the top they realized the "EXIT" rectangle was too small for anyone except a deranged Halfling on a diet could enter. But of course this was the appropriate time the party could drink the Diminution Potions Dorial had "nicked" from Upphitter' Emporium. (Did I fail to mention that? I probably did.) Either that or they realized it later and sent Doriel to do the shoplifting.

Once inside, they were in the same room as Kiki, and the party commiserated for 20 or so minutes whether or not to push the "Up" or "Down" arrow buttons. They did manage to read the sign that said "Hellivator". (For those who know module WG7, I dispensed with the Ghost as it was getting late.)

They ended up pushing the "Up" button. Again those of you who know module WG7, I dispensed with the Ogre and Flying witch encounter, and set them back in the tapestry room, with the smashed pumpkins (now moldy), and the door with twelve keyholes.

gain they party commiserated for 10 minutes on what to do next whether to smash more pumpkins, re-open the Hellivator going down or go through the door. Sensing the GM's frustration, and as the Players knew it was their last night and I wanted to finish the level they asked me what was the best way to finish it?

"Open the damn door.", I said.

The Players couldn't have known, but it was in the module they only needed 7 of the 12 keys to open the next door, so I let them try and voila the were in. Greeted by the Ye Secret Tom of Inestimable Knowledge, an orange and black striped metal construct cat. (Who gives clues.) Lying on its back and obviously wanting a belly-scratch, the cat construct revealed the 12 keyholes in its belly.

Inserting a key reveals a clue. But I'll reiterate the process next session since events also happen.

++++ CHARACTER ROSTER ++++

PLAYERS

Kmaregh Dismal, Evoker
Junkbot Jackson - Tracker/Adept
Huang - Monk Master
Honda - Samurai Bushi
Kiki - Prestigitator and Pixie-Nixie
Sir Doriel, an Elf Waghalter.
Sir Lauren, a Half-Elf Veteran
Sir Ulfberht Axewieder, a Dwarf Veteran
Sir Claven, a Touched of Tyr

PNP's (Players Not Playing), but appear every so often:

D'Vine Justice, Elf Initiate of the 5th Circle (Semi-retired)
Count, Elefus, Human Male Deacon

NPCs (living only):

Hireling Ensign Johnson (upstairs as invalid, performing gate guard duty in the former International Exports building
Henchman Tubbs

++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++

NNNN