** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tracy's HackMoor Campaign 2013/02/19
PostPosted: Feb 26, 2013 12:02 am 
Lord
Lord

PART 1. ACTIONS

This week we had a medium Margherite pizza, with the more expensive cheese.

Elefus, apparently distraught by his un-named wife's character divorcing him, did not appear for this session. So we reverted back to the upcoming battle with the former Player character, Rahl.

Discounting the divorce question, there were three (off game) weeks of preparations on both sides (GM vs. Players), with constant halts for CMA (Covering My A**) standing orders. i.e., "Well if he does THIS, can I do THAT?" e.g., "My character is Ambidextrous, can I attack twice in a turn?", (No, it only means you can use either hand attacking twice is a proficiency.), and "No there is no such spell as Mass Teleport in Hackmaster." (See procedural explanation, third part following.)

The last thing we had done previously was Elefus wanting to borrow Weasel's Ring of Scrying to find out who had put the drawing of him in a compromising position with Gerry Castagere in his luggage. Using standard Teleport procedure (see third part following), Elefus, Junkbot, and his new sidekick Fundisha appear at the battlefield and Elefus makes his request to Weasel.

Weasel is rather peeved, because Rahl has almost caught up to the party and they have been itching to for battle for several days. Weasel wants to know, "What's more important, the upcoming battle against Evil Rahl and his Red Dragon or your d***ed divorce!?" And, "If you want to use my Ring, you'd better help the battle, now! The only good news is Rahl is about to arrive, so we don't have to Teleport the whole party again!"

Elefus lost a point of Honor for asking a favor, but made his save versus Apology. Weasel gained a point of Honor for Admonishing Elefus.

Rahl and his entourage appeared in due course, in the following marching order:

First, there were three huge clouds of darkness with faces floating in the air as if they were straight out an episode of a Japanese anime or manga comic. They were line abreast, about 18 yards apart.

Next they were followed by two twelve foot tall big red guys carrying scimitars appropriate for their size. Again, 18 yards behind and 18 yards apart.

18 yards behind the red guys, was Rahl, flying low on his Dragon, holding aloft a White Glowing Orb and holding a Staff.

FIRST ROUND

When Rahl and the dragon were 360 yards away and with a cry of grief from Gerry, Weasel and Elefus ATTEMPT to Teleport just behind Rahl's position on the dragon. Since Teleportation requires a certain degree of familiarity to where you're Teleporting, AND since Elefus had never seen the back of this particular dragon, the accuracy roll failed by two percentage points. So they appeared 20 feet high, so Weasel being a Thief, had to make a DEX save in order to land on the Dragon's back, also taking 11 points of damage from the fall. Elefus on the other had had Winged Boots of Flying and stayed aloft.

Out of range, the rest of the party milled about in no particular order.

Rahl, traveling at the movement of the slowest member of his entourage, is now 342 yards away from the party.

Elefus on his Winged Boots hovers in place at 12 O'clock high, letting the Dragon, et. al., move away for 18 yards.

SECOND ROUND

As far as Rahl was concerned, Weasel attained tactical surprise. But spells go first.

Dragon was perfectly aware of the extra person on his back, so it cast Magic Missile on the interloper, hitting Weasel for 38 points.

Advancing on Rahl, ever the Thief, Weasel picks Rahl's pocket. However he does so in reverse, placing a Scarab of Death. Whether this form of attack is dubious or not, remains to be seen.

Again, out of range, the rest of the party mills about in no particular order.

Rahl, is now 324 yards away from the party. Elefus flies at the same rate, keeping 18 yards distant in the back.

Two of the cloud-like face-beings from a Japanese anime flick turn around, the third continues forward.

THIRD ROUND

Rahl is still unaware of the person behind him.

Spells first:

The Dragon uses his telepathic ability to get the red guys attention and they turn to look (but without stopping).

Elefus, takes this opportunity to cast Heal Moderate Wounds (a HackMaster version of Cure, but can be cast from a distance.)

Weasel, still behind Rahl, makes the standard thief Backstab attack, and fumbles on a 1. Not wanting to lose his advantage, Weasel plays a Mulligan card for another die roll and hits Rahl for 28 points

Rahl, as his usual tactic, had previously cast a "Preemptive Strike Spell" thus causing 21 points of damage on Weasel at the same time. (Weasel then passes his Threshhold of Pain check.).

Rahl of course, is now aware of Weasel's position. But unable to act.

At this point Elefus' Heal Moderate Wounds takes effect, curing Weasel for 55 points, bringing Weasel to a manageable 15 points of damage total.

Rahl, is now 306 yards away from the party. Elefus flies at the same rate, keeping 18 yards distant in the back.

Still out of range, the rest of the party mills about in no particular order.

Two of the cloud-like face-beings moves retrograde towards Weasel and and Elefus, and are now even with the red guys, the third continues forward.

Weasel uses his "Rod of Security" to go to his "Happy Place" and temporarily opts out of the battle. (Insofar this was an extra action this round, I allowed it.)

Also for some reason, one of the cloud like face beings becomes confused and starts milling about like the Party.

STOP

At this point the Players got tired as there was too much cross checking back and forth to see if their abilities actually worked.

We also opted for a board game next session. The Players seem to have burned out on the Rahl distraction.

++++ OUT OF CHEESE ERROR ++++

BT

BBBB

PART 2. CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS

PLAYERS:

Weasel, Human Male, Guild Soldier, Magician, & Myrmidon. (Multi-class. How'd a human get that way? Don't ask.)

Snizzlephish, Gnome Male, Visionist & Footpad (Multi-class.)

Elefus, Human Male Deacon

Numrendir, Human Male Demander. (Recently raised from the dead.)

Junkbot Jackson - Layman-Courser. (The new guy, assigned by the Blackmoor government.)

Fundisa - Fighter/Infiltrator (Junkbot's sidekick just introduced.)

NON-PLAYER CHARACTERS:

Jallapierie, a 17th level Wizard, (taken offline for defensive scrying against Rahl).

Hieronymous Castagere, a 13th level Fighter and ship's navigator, assigned to them by the Royal Blackmoor government. (Captured by Barbarians)

Gerry Castagere, a Filcher, daughter to the ship's navigator who has fallen in love with Elefus.

Bosero the Drunkard, a 14th level Wizard, seconded in to replace Jallapierie in the party since Jallapierie is busy.

Seamus MacLopez, a Tenian Deacon, assigned to them by the Royal Blackmoor government. (The Players don't remember what NPC names I tell them, but for the record, this IS just a cover name for Gregor Mendicamp, he's supposed to be the leader of Tenian underground and needs his anonymity.)

INACTIVE CHARACTERS:

Aeon, Half-Elf Male Veteran (Captured by Barbarians.)

Mysery Reigns, Halfling Female Killer. (On maternity leave, just gave birth to twins, Halfling Half-Orcs.)

D'Vine_Justice, Elf Female Initiate of the 5th Circle. (Semi-Retirement)

BT

BBBB

PART 3.

Explanation of the Party's Teleportation procedure:

1) Elefus has a Tooth of Matea Kar which allows him to Teleport twice a day.

2) A limited number of characters can accompany within Teleport weight standards by entering into a Bag of Holding (on loan from Weasel) that Elefus carries.

3) All other extra-dimensional items that characters hold are handed over to Elefus to hand-carry before characters enter the Bag.

4) Sometimes the number of characters entering the Bag can be increased, after they take a Potion of Diminution.

5) Sometimes the Bag of Holding is not required, if weight limitations are met.

BT

NNNN

NNNN

Post subject: Re: Tracy's HackMoor Campaign 2013/02/19
PostPosted: Mar 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council
Lord of the Regency Council

Sounds Epic! :)

Do you ever find it troublesome with players with access to magic items allowing both flying and Teleportation? Sounds like a headache to make plans when youre the DM? :)

-Havard

Post subject: Re: Tracy's HackMoor Campaign 2013/02/19
PostPosted: Mar 04, 2013 9:27 pm 
Lord
Lord

For troublesome issues I sometimes use an assistant GM, typically a Player or Players who is/are separated from the party will run the tactics. That leaves me to adjudicate conceptual problems that arise. In this case for Rahl, I had a full character sheet along with pre-printed effects of Rahl personal magic items from the GM's Guide which I handed over to my assistant.

Note the picture that accompanied the post may be wider than your screen. Be sure to scroll to the right.

Also this week there will be no report. Due to Player burnout, we played Avalon Hill's "Civilization" the one Sid Meier used as a model (in Europe this may be known as the "Gibson's Version"). Crete and Thrace were ahead when we called time to quit.

NNNN