** ARCHIVED FORUM - ANY CHANGES ARE REVERTED HOURLY **

It is currently Sep 19, 2024 12:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Sar Aigu Ritual
PostPosted: Sep 19, 2012 12:23 pm 
Lord of the Regency Council

The Sar Aigu Ritual is something that has become a central element in my current regular group campaign. I have found that it is a way to connect several elements of the Blackmoor Mythology. The Sar Aigu were introduced in Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor. That book describes how the Sar Aigu were the first race to climb onto the rocks where Castle Blackmoor was built thousands of years later.

In my campaign, the Sar Aigu were directed to that place by their God, the Power behind the Temple of the Frog. On the Blackmoor peninsula, they performed some kind of dark ritual. However, instead of summoning their God, they istead summoned a much older power. An Old One.

This scared the Sar Aigu and forced them back into the dark waters of the Black Sea. The magic of the Old One was what was infused with the rocky foundation of the Blackmoor peninsula. It is that magic that later drew large numbers of mages to the region, resulting in the Mage Wars. During that time of magical conflict, so much energy was released that it awakend the Egg of Coot from its dark slumber.

And here we get to another dark secret from my campaign. The Egg of Coot is just one of several ancient evils who were put into a state of unnatural sleep by the Gods. The servants of the Egg have now uncovered the ritual originally used by the Sar Aigu. They believe that they can use this ritual to draw fully from the power of the Blackmoor Peninsula. Their purpose, to awaken the other Sleepers. This is why the Egg of Coot and its servants keep attacking Blackmoor. And in my campaign, the ritual is about to be performed....

Full version: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... itual.html

-Havard

Post subject: Re: The Sar Aigu Ritual
PostPosted: Sep 21, 2012 2:49 am 
Freeholder
Freeholder

Very interesting and I love how you have portrayed the Sar Aigu Ritual and the idea they possess reality piercing magic is interesting and adds to the lovecraftian nature they have as a degenerate race of fishmen. I've yet to get Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor and I've heard nothing but great things about it, I love Mega-Dungeons so I hope to obtain it eventually. Also the Sar Aigu worship Stodos(?) and tried summon him to the prime material plane?

Also what kind of Ancient Evils have you hinted too? Demons or more Lovecraftian horrors?

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 8:48 am 

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2012 3:30 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2012 4:47 pm 

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2012 7:01 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

I could see them or just one being summoned by the Egg, the Makrab liked to tamper with life by adding demonic elements into the mix and the Egg of Coot likes to tamper with creatures and leech of arcane power sources to pass the time so maybe the Eggs followers discovered arcane text referring to the Demons of the Void locked in stasis so those devoted to the Egg of Coot summoned one named Makrab and tried binding it but failed to do it. The Makrab are this race of demonic entities who travel the void so why not?

LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN
^I found this the other day, its WtSF and is complete. The biggest thing I like in it is the mention of the Dark Plea, a godmind sort of thing that I reflavored in my Wilderlands game as a psionic Makrab without a body or some lovecraftian horror who had no physical presence except its cultist reaching out and corrupting the collective conscious. The engrams are all that remains of a dead race and they have benefits like a Ioun Stone but they're like tattoos. The Ruin-Priest prestige class is good for those doomsday cultist who worship spacejunk as part of a greater god, etc.

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2012 2:34 pm 
Duke
Duke

In your campaign or in other fan production (as i assume that there is no clear canon around this issue) do you have a relation between that Old One and the Egg of Coot?
When the Old One came, was the Egg of Coot already there? is the Egg of Coot some kind of "souvenir" left by that Old One? What (else) did the Old One do, on his "visit"? Why/where did he go "away"?

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2012 5:46 pm 

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2012 7:32 pm 
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2012 10:45 pm 
Freeholder
Freeholder

I'd associate the god of the Sar-Aigu with the Wilderlands god Armadad Bog, the "Water God of Death" who is supposed to have fathered the Viridian race. He could also be connected to the Temple of the Frog.

I was thinking of associating him with Crakkak Sharp Tooth, the Immortal patron of the shark-kin, but Crakkak may not be evil enough to fit.