Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Sleeping Ones
As mentioned in a previous post, there are certain forces at work in Blackmoor, seeking to use ancient Sar Aigu Rituals to achieve their dark goals. The purpose of these rituals is to awaken the Sleeping Ones. Millions of years ago, there existed Beings whose power rivaled that of the Gods. While these Outer Beings were eventually driven out of the Multiverse, many of their dark servitors remained. In the Cthonian Age, members of these Servitor Races were able to aid creatures like the evil Carnifex in their dark quest for power. But even the reign of the Carnifex came to an end and the creatures who had supplied them with power were destroyed, or imprisoned beneath the earth, in the depths of the sea or on other planes of existence. There they were placed into unnatural slumber, so that they could no longer do harm.Thus they slept through the last Ice Age.

During the last Stone Age, 6.000 years ago, the many of the Brute Men of the North were magically influenced by the dreams of such Sleeping Ones, known as Burrowers. These Brute Man Wars were also finally ended, though it is unknown if the corruption that comes in the form of dreams has been fully stopped.

Some scholars believe that the Egg of Coot is one such Greater Servitor of the Outer Beings. It was buried beneath the sea, but it was once again awakened by the energies released during the Mage Wars. It stands to reason then that the servants of the Egg of Coot and its allies, such as the Priesthood of Id, are interested in awakening other such Sleeping Ones. As only divine intervention has succeeded in defeating these entities in the past, it seems that the future of Blackmoor would be forfeit should these agents succeed.

The Outer Beings were created by James Mishler and Geoff Gander.
Thanks also to Freedom92 for suggestions and encouragement! Smile

Full version: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.no/201 ... -ones.html

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Ahem. Wink

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2793

Good stuff, though, my dear viking. I personally find Egg=Cthulhu a tad boring, to tell the truth, but I recognize it's incredibly playable,
and very friendly for beginners who want to put together a campaign.

In this context, since this seems to be your sort of specialty, have you ever tried Cthulhu Dreamlands or Cthulhu Dark Age in conjunction with BM?

I think that one would rock pretty well, too.
As mentioned above the idea of the dreamlands is interesting way to have the silent Ones reach out, the dreamscape being the manifestation of the collective subconscious as well as it would result in why wizards would fear the egg of coot since subconsciously they know it feeds off arcane magic and the fear of aberrant things hail from other Sleeping Ones. Would explain why they manipulated the brute-men easily as they are a very primitive race whose mythology might put emphasis on the idea of omens in dreams, etc.

Also the Sleeping Ones are a good name for what fills the role of the great old ones in Blackmoor and I like how The Egg of Coot is sort of the cthulhu replacement. I cant wait to see what you toss out, in my local group I'm playing the binder binding the vestiges of the GOO and OG so I can see it eaily working well in Blackmoor. I'd love to see what you have lined up for these Sleeping Ones, they are indeed interesting.
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewt...=22&t=2793

The Stone Age in that thread is a different Stone Age from the one mentioned in my article. The basic idea is that the Cthonic Age (mentioned in Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor) ended with a new Ice Age, which in turn reduced many of the civilizations of the North to a Second Stone Age. The Great Glacier north of the Wilderlands is a remnant of this Ice Age.

Quote:I personally find Egg=Cthulhu a tad boring, to tell the truth, but I recognize it's incredibly playable,
and very friendly for beginners who want to put together a campaign.

*lol*
The Egg is not Cthulhu in my version. It is however connected to entities of a Lovecraftian nature. However it should be noted that the article about the Sleeping Ones is not primarily about the Egg of Coot. Rather it introduces an element of the grander cosmology of my Blackmoor.

Freedom92 Wrote:As mentioned above the idea of the dreamlands is interesting way to have the silent Ones reach out, the dreamscape being the manifestation of the collective subconscious as well as it would result in why wizards would fear the egg of coot since subconsciously they know it feeds off arcane magic and the fear of aberrant things hail from other Sleeping Ones. Would explain why they manipulated the brute-men easily as they are a very primitive race whose mythology might put emphasis on the idea of omens in dreams, etc.

Thanks! Good point about the Egg of Coot feeding on the Arcane Energies and what this would mean for Wizards. I could see the Egg's own wizards having learned to feed off the negative energies that the Egg generates, though not without a price of course :twisted:

The storyline about the Brute Men is a reference to the Hollow World boxed set and the relationship between the Great Burrowers and the Brute Men.

Quote:Also the Sleeping Ones are a good name for what fills the role of the great old ones in Blackmoor and I like how The Egg of Coot is sort of the cthulhu replacement. I cant wait to see what you toss out, in my local group I'm playing the binder binding the vestiges of the GOO and OG so I can see it eaily working well in Blackmoor. I'd love to see what you have lined up for these Sleeping Ones, they are indeed interesting.

Thanks for the encouragement and great input! That sort of thing is what keeps me going! Smile

More on all of this later Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:The Stone Age in that thread is a different Stone Age from the one mentioned in my article. The basic idea is that the Cthonic Age (mentioned in Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor) ended with a new Ice Age, which in turn reduced many of the civilizations of the North to a Second Stone Age. The Great Glacier north of the Wilderlands is a remnant of this Ice Age.

Actually, did DoCBM mention an ice age, or is that your addition?
I don't have the books on me right now, and as you know, I mostly ignored what they wrote in favor of WL lore anyway.

Havard Wrote:*lol*
The Egg is not Cthulhu in my version. It is however connected to entities of a Lovecraftian nature. However it should be noted that the article about the Sleeping Ones is not primarily about the Egg of Coot. Rather it introduces an element of the grander cosmology of my Blackmoor.

Oh, beat me to it: In case it wasn't clear, I liked the article. Smile

Even with the MMRPG episodes out, it's still good to expand the BM universe with something people can easily replicate.
A fantasy party in the Dreamlands, that's something I would play. Smile

FYI, one of the elements that constituted the creation of the Evershard IMC was Lovecraft's Color out of Space.
Anyway one could possibly connect that? Smile
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Actually, did DoCBM mention an ice age, or is that your addition?
I don't have the books on me right now, and as you know, I mostly ignored what they wrote in favor of WL lore anyway.

IIRC the Ice Age comes from the Hollow World Boxed Set, although IMO it also fits with the Wilderlands material as to explain the Great Glacier. Also, if I am to include something like the Land of Black Ice it would be worked into that. Basically I'm just giving out fragments of a larger picture here. Its hard to keep track on where everything came from Wink

Anyway, I create very little myself. Mainly its all about piecing things from different sources together and filling in some details.

Quote:
Havard Wrote:*lol*

Oh, beat me to it: In case it wasn't clear, I liked the article. Smile

Smile

Quote:Even with the MMRPG episodes out, it's still good to expand the BM universe with something people can easily replicate.
A fantasy party in the Dreamlands, that's something I would play. Smile

FYI, one of the elements that constituted the creation of the Evershard IMC was Lovecraft's Color out of Space.
Anyway one could possibly connect that? Smile

It should be doable. I do intend to have some of the servitor races of the Sleeping Ones come from the Stars...

-Havard