Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Dwarf/Gnome Timeline
I've been doing some research into the history of the Dwarves and Gnomes. Here's the first draft:

Dwarven hero, Ubestar Kazakhum is born(DA1).

500:
Ubestar Kazakhum establishes the Northern Delving mines, in the Crystal Peaks mountains. It is said that these mines are the most prominent example of dwarven architecture throughout the world (DA1).

The Gnome Wizard Mieroc completes his vessel allowing him to fly to the Sun. He never returns from his journey, but Charis elevates Mieroc to Immortality. As a result of this, Gnomes begin to mass migrate to the North in search of Mieroc’s laboratory. DAB

Gnome astronomer Galen Lato invents a clockwork adjustable telescope.
Months after Lato's invention, another Gnome, Artigan the inventor, creates a mechanical sparrow, spawning a wide range of animated animals in Gnome clockshops. First Titanium Steed created, but lost in the Blackmoor Dungeon. C&S, FFC

Dwarves of the Mines are first to support Earl of Vestfold in his attempts to stop the Egg's invasion. Stormkiller dwarves reinforce Thonian forces as they join in the war efforts.

Two dwarves rescue the vampire Sir Fang and join his Undead Legion.

Clockwork trolley set up between two mountain communities C&S

Borgrim Stonehammer the dwarf pioneers use of steam engines C&S

Dwarven experimentation with a steam powered railway ends in disaster, killing 200 dwarves and gnomes. Idea of mass transportation abandoned. C&S

After a decade of research, the dwarven steam bore is invented. C&S, DAB

Dwarven Ore Barons become very wealthy. C&S

Being persecuted by Emperor Iyx, Uther hides for many months amidst the dwarves of Ubestar Kazakhum and starts to secretly build an army of loyal followers (DA1). DA1

The dwarves of Northern Delving send along with Uther a strong armed force led by a disguised Uberstar Kazakhum. The Thonians are beaten in the battle of the Root River (DA1). DA1

A strange comet falls from the sky. DA3

Dwarves enter an economic depression which is still felt to some degree even 15 years later.
“The Saboteurs” begin destroying machinery, claiming it is a threat to the dwarven way of life. C&S

Dwarves begin building war machines. C&S

Dwarf War Machine destroys Orc Army in the Dragon Hills. C&S

University of Blackmoor founded in Blackmoor City. The new University staff includes dwarves, elves, halflings and many scholars sent by the bishop of Blackmoor Garamond Bolitho (DA1).
Blackmoor University Professor Telgrim Whistlegate begins studying clockwork inventions. (C&S) DA1, C&S

1022 Whistlegate creates humanoid Clockwork Defenders.
Order of the Pendulum founded. It is a sinister organization devoted to the development of technology at any cost. C&S

Clockwork appendages used to replace lost limbs
Clockwork spies outlawed in Blackmoor and the Thonian Empire.
Dwarven Steamsaw construct destroyed. Westryn Rangers suspected. C&S

1024 Uberstar Kazakhum is captured by Orcs. The dwarves set up right away a military force to free him, but they are defeated and pushed back until the gates of Northern Delving, where they are besieged by the Orcs. This is the start of the Sixth War between dwarves and Orcs. Lortz Kazakhum, the son of Uberstar, becomes ad-interim Regent of the Mines. The siege forces him to interrupt any communications with Blackmoor and the humans (DA1). DA1

Events of the DA series begin DA1-4

DAB Campaign Begins DAB

Edit: see also this article on the Dwarves of Blackmoor.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I have the Clockwork and Steam pdf, but haven't read it yet.

I didn't realise there was so much background information in it.
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Dave L Wrote:I have the Clockwork and Steam pdf, but haven't read it yet.

I didn't realise there was so much background information in it.

Most of it is on the first 5 pages or so. Also, the inventions in the back of the book each have a paragraph on their history.

As with Wizards Cabal, C&S is vague about specifics so most of the dates are sort of arbitrary, though not entirely so.

Havard
My impression (and the way I did it on my campaign map) is that the northern delving represents more of a territory than an individual mine.

Its also interesting to note that in FFC, Dwarves posses one of the more powerful armies (6000 troops + another 1500 if Bramwald is included). That's twice Blackmoor and more than 1/3 that of the Great Kingdom, but only half that of Maus and Vestfold.
Aldarron Wrote:My impression (and the way I did it on my campaign map) is that the northern delving represents more of a territory than an individual mine.

Agreed. This was sort of cut and paste from another timeline. I think Northern Delving should be the name of the entire Dwarven "Kingdom" of the North, though it does suggest a southern dwarven kindgom as well...

Quote:Its also interesting to note that in FFC, Dwarves posses one of the more powerful armies (6000 troops + another 1500 if Bramwald is included). That's twice Blackmoor and more than 1/3 that of the Great Kingdom, but only half that of Maus and Vestfold.

That is interesting! Thanks for mentioning this. At the same time, 30 years after the FFC, the Dwarven population has been reduced to fewer than 10.000 dwarves. Things are not looking too good for these people...

Havard
Havard Wrote:
Aldarron Wrote:My impression (and the way I did it on my campaign map) is that the northern delving represents more of a territory than an individual mine.

Agreed. This was sort of cut and paste from another timeline. I think Northern Delving should be the name of the entire Dwarven "Kingdom" of the North, though it does suggest a southern dwarven kindgom as well...
The map for DA3, bottom right corner in the Thonian Rand - "New Delving".
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
All the time I am reading this, I can't help to ask me one thing:

WHY?

Why couldn't my soulmate be a girl?!
Dave L Wrote:The map for DA3, bottom right corner in the Thonian Rand - "New Delving".

Good observation Dave! What should we make of that? is it an older settlement or a colony established by Oberstar?

Rafael Wrote:Why couldn't my soulmate be a girl?!

Sorry mate, you can't have everything Wink

Havard
A few more observations that I made when compiling this timeline:

Dwarves:
The Dwarves of Blackmoor are hard pressed. 6 wars with the Orcs have taken a heavy toll on the dwarf population and conflicts with Thonians etc hasnt helped either. Both Oberstar and Lortz have been loyal supporters of Uther and will be dependent on getting something back from that relationship soon. However, Uther seems occupied elsewhere.

Gnomes:
Gnomes are a fairly new race to the North, having only been in the region for 200 years. I connected their arrival with Mieroc's ascencion to Immortality. So Blackmoor Gnomes would be a sort of pilgrim folk. This contrasts to other descriptions of them in the DAB sourcebook as gypsy-like travellers.

Oh, and not sure if anyone noticed but the detail about the first Titanium Steed being lost in the Blackmoor Dungeon was something I added because I want that to be the horse used by the Blue Rider. I omitted another reference from C&S about the horse being made by a Cumasti elf. Elves should have no business playing around with steam tech IMO...

Havard
Yeah the theory I've been going with was that the dwarven population has been drastically declning for more than a millenia now, due to wars and what have you, opening up vast areas of what was once part of the northern delving to new settlers, DoP, Dot, and Blackmoor.

As for elves and steam tech, I would take the opposite stance based on what Jerry told us. They really should be the only ones fooling with any technology - like the holy water fire hoses. I realize though the d20 stuff went in a different direction following the AD&D gnome engineers etc. Impossible to reconcile everything.